What is Veterans Preference?

If you’re a Veteran who served on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces and were separated under honorable conditions, you may be eligible for special hiring authorities and veterans’ preference, giving you preference over non-veteran applicants in the hiring process. Veterans' preference can be used when applying to permanent and temporary positions in both the competitive and excepted service. What type of documentation is needed? When claiming veterans’ preference, you must provide a copy of your DD-214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, or other acceptable documentation.

Applicants claiming 10-point preference will need to submit Form SF15, or other acceptable documentation.

• The DD-214 (Member 4 copy) is issued to military members upon separation from active service. It contains information about the veteran's dates of military service and separation.

• The SF-15 is used by Federal agencies and OPM examining offices to adjudicate individuals' claims for veterans' preference.

• A letter from the VA containing dates of service, discharge status, and disability rating may be used in place of an SF-15.

How do I apply for FERC positions using Veterans Preference?

All FERC vacancies are posted on our website at www.ferc.gov/careers. You can view the Qualifications & Evaluation section of each job announcement to match your experience to our positions. You can then use USA Jobs to upload your resume and DD-214 and/or SF-15 documentation to apply for positions. If you have additional questions about veteran’s preference, contact us at work@ferc.gov.

What are the non-competitive special hiring authorities for veterans?

Veterans Recruitment Authority: is an excepted authority that allows agencies to noncompetitively appoint an eligible veteran. If you:

• Served during a war or are in receipt of a campaign badge for service in a campaign or expedition; OR

• Are a disabled veteran, OR

• Are in receipt of an Armed Forces Service Medal (includes the Global War on Terrorism Service Medal)for participation in a military operation, OR Visit our social media pages today! @WorkatFERC FERC Careers FERC-Careers

• Are a recently separated veteran (within 3 years of discharge), AND

• Separated under honorable conditions (this means an honorable or general discharge). 30% or More Disabled Veteran: the 30% or More Disabled Veteran authority allows any Veteran with a 30% or more service-connected disability to be hired without competition.

You are eligible if you:

• Retired from active military service with a service-connected disability rating of 30% or more; OR

• Have a rating by the Department of Veterans Affairs showing a compensable service-connected disability of 30% or more. The Veterans Employment Opportunities Act of 1998, as amended (VEOA) provides preference eligible and certain eligible veterans the opportunity to compete for certain positions announced under an agency’s merit promotion procedures.

To be eligible to be considered pursuant to VEOA appointment, your latest discharge must be issued under honorable conditions (this means an honorable or general discharge), AND you must be either:

• A preference eligible (defined in title 5 U.S.C. 2108(3)), OR

• A veteran who substantially completed 3 or more years of active service under honorable conditions.

Where can I find more information?



This page was last updated on April 28, 2020