General Information 


Phone: 202-502-8004 or  866-208-3372 (Toll-Free) 

Participation in Commission Proceedings 

Office of Public Participation (OPP)  

Phone: 202-502-6595 

When to contact:  The public may contact OPP for assistance understanding Commission procedures.  Examples include questions on when and how to intervene, comment, file motions, or seek rehearing. 

Specialized Resources 

Enforcement Hotline  

Phone: 202-502-8390 or 888-889-8030 (Toll-Free) 

Anonymous form: 

When to contact: If you’re concerned about potential violations (but not general compliance issues not related to potential violations, landowner issues, or retail rate issues).  Examples include complaints about: market manipulation, fraud, bidding anomalies, inappropriate use of financial instruments, fluctuations in available capacity on electric transmission lines and natural gas pipelines, interconnection discrimination, possible Tariff violations, and undue preferences to affiliates. 

Compliance Help Desk 


When to contact: If you have a compliance question about the statutes, rules, regulations, and tariffs administered by the Commission or are seeking compliance technical assistance. The compliance help desk is not intended to provide research or analysis regarding Commission policies.  

Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) Helpline 

Phone: 844-238-1560 (Toll-Free) 

When to contact: If you’re in need of services such as mediation and facilitation in disputes involving entities subject to the Commission’s jurisdiction. The Dispute Resolution Service (DRS) provides neutral and independent alternative dispute resolution (ADR) services, assisting parties in the voluntary resolution of their energy and environmental disputes -- prior to, during, or after a complaint is filed with the Commission. DRS staff are trained professionals highly skilled in conflict resolution, prevention, negotiation, and alternative dispute resolution (ADR) techniques.  All communication with a DRS representative is confidential, unless otherwise agreed to.  DRS staff are not involved in Commission decisional processes and do not advocate positions or conduct investigations for the Commission. Learn more about the processes and services DRS provides. 
ADR encompasses a variety of dispute resolution methods, including: 

  • Mediation –The neutral mediator assists the disputing parties to voluntarily achieve a mutually satisfactory resolution or agreement through confidential communication. 

  • Conciliation - Relationship building using a third-party conciliator to help bridge communication gaps, clarify misconception, deal with strong emotions, and build trust so the disputing parties can work together. 

  • Facilitation - A third party facilitator uses techniques to improve the flow of information in a meeting or a series of meetings to accomplish specific goals. 

  • Subject Matter Expert or Early Neutral Evaluation – The parties in consultation with the neutral mediator may request the non-binding opinion of a technical or legal expert on how the Commission may view a particular set of circumstances based on case precedent. 

Landowner Helpline 

Email: ‍ 
Phone: 202-502-6651 or 877-337-2237 (Toll-Free) 

When to contact: If you need assistance with disputes involving the construction and operation of FERC jurisdictional projects. The FERC Landowner Helpline, managed by the FERC Dispute Resolution Service, facilitates communication between landowners and natural gas companies. FERC Landowner Helpline staff are neutral and independent professional mediators who do not advocate positions, conduct investigations for the Commission, or provide legal advice.   
They assist landowners with: 

  • Construction-Related Concerns and Damages from interstate natural gas transmission and storage projects and LNG projects 
  • Land Access Disputes 
  • Executed Easement Disputes (pre-existing easement agreements) 
  • Land Restoration Disputes (revegetation, settling or subsidence, erosion, or drainage) 
  • Noise and/or Vibration Complaints 

When calling the FERC Landowner Helpline, if known, have the project’s docket number, the name and location of the project, and the name and contact information for company officials you have been previously working with. This will help FERC staff better address your concerns. 

Hydroelectric License and Exemption Compliance 

Phone: 844-434-0053 (Toll-Free) 

When to contact: Complaints or reports regarding non-compliance with hydroelectric licenses may be directed to the Commission’s Office of Energy Projects. The hotline is staffed Monday-Friday from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm ET excluding Federal holidays. Callers may leave a message and the call will be returned during the next business day. 

Tree Trimming and Vegetation Management 


When to contact: FERC receives calls and emails from landowners related to tree trimming or utility vegetation management practices.  While FERC approved a requirement for utilities to maintain adequate clearances between vegetation and transmission lines, FERC has no direct responsibility over tree trimming or utility vegetation management practices.  However, we encourage landowners to bring to our attention any scenario that they are unsure of so we can see if we can help.  You can submit an issue using the linked form, above. 

Information and Technology Resources 

FOIA Requests 


When to contact: Under FOIA any person has the right to request public access to federal agency records or information. The agency must release the records upon receiving a written request unless the records fall within the nine exemptions and three exclusions outlined in the Act. 

FERC On-Line Support 

Phone: ‍202-502-6652 

When to contact: If you have questions or need help using eLibrary, eFiling, eComment, eSubscribe, eRegister, or eService. 

Public Reference Room 

Phone: ‍202-502-8371  

When to contact: If you need help with obtaining copies of records from the Commission’s repository, obtaining certifications of Commission official records, limited research, or have questions regarding the Public Reference Room. 

External Resources 

Local Natural Gas or Electricity Service

Problems involving natural gas or electric service or billing for retail customers are not within the Commission's jurisdiction. Such problems should be directed to your state commission or, if relevant, local regulatory agency. Websites for each state commission can be found through the National Association of Regulatory Utility Commissioners (NARUC) 

Pipeline Safety 

If you have a question regarding safety of an interstate natural gas pipeline, you should contact the Department of Transportation's Office of Pipeline Safety

Contact Information

This page was last updated on January 11, 2022